Chinese lanterns are so easy and fun to make that they often associated with festivals. These paper lanterns are quite popular to make for Chinese New Year. This is such a great project for kids who are starting to master the use of scissors! So, why not you could make these paper lanterns with your kids and teach them a bit about Chinese culture? Let’s get started with the step by step tutorial.
VIDEO TUTORIAL AVAILABLE
- Cardstock paper
- Glue gun or school glue
- Washi Tape or any color paper or satin ribbon
- To make paper lanterns, take the cardstock paper and cut into two pieces of 5 inches and 6 inches each. Now apply some glue on the corner of the 5-inch paper and roll it forming a cylinder shape.
- Now take the 6-inch piece and begin by cutting down the long side of .5 inches and set them aside.
- Next, fold the sheet of paper in half to form a long and skinny rectangle, as shown.
- Draw pencil marks as a guide to make sure you don’t cut all the way to the edge of the paper.
- Open it up, and place the cylinder over the sheet. Apply glue to both ends and paste it around the cylinder shape as shown.
- Now take the .5 inches paper strip and glue it as a lantern handle.
- Use washi tapes or satin ribbon or any colored paper strips and paste it over the lantern to decorate it, if desired.
- That’s It! Hang your paper lanterns from the ceiling, or place them on the table for a colorful and festive centerpiece!
We would love to hear from you.
Make this and show it off! Email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or upload it on social media and tag us. @passionatemoms,@raisingworldchildren. We would feature the best ones on OUR platform for the world to see!
Comment below and tell us what else you want us to try out next! Make sure to leave a lovely thank you to the creator.